Are There Potential Factors That Could Limit My Settlement Amount In A Bike Accident Injury Case?
The factors of liability (proving the other person is at fault) and damages (proving the true nature and extent of your injuries) are the two main measures by which your settlement or the value of your case will be measured. But having good liability and damages alone are not enough. How well you can document your accident and your damages; how diligent and consistent you are in following your doctor’s instructions and do what is necessary to get better are important in building your case, and the failure to follow through with them will limit any settlement or jury verdict.
Other potential limitations in the settlement value of a bike accident case that can harm your ability to obtain a full recovery involve errors that are made in pursuing your case:
- Posting to social media that shows you engaged in activities that contradict the premise that you are injured. (Yes, insurance companies do look for this information.)
- Engaging in activities that suggest that you are not really injured or not injured as badly as you are claiming. (Yes, insurance companies do use investigators to do “sub rosa” spying on some claimants.)
- Retaining an attorney that is too inexperienced to handle your case or retaining an attorney who does not specialize in personal injury cases. (There is no substitute for experience in handling bodily injury claims.)
- Not disclosing your past medical history or other similar injuries, conditions, accidents or claims to your lawyer or your doctors. (Failure to disclose important and relevant information can destroy your credibility, which is your most important and valuable asset in any claim.)
- The amount of a defendant’s insurance coverage or ability to pay your damages. (After all, the whole point of the claim is to be compensated for your losses, and insufficient insurance can prevent you from reaching that goal.)
For more information on Settlement Amount In A Bike Injury Claim, an initial consultation is your next best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (818) 530-1770 today.